Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jesus, Kids and Phones

So yesterday's post was NOT suppose to be about that...but I got on a tangent, and I'm glad I did.



Speaking of God's faithfulness in the previous post...let me tell you about yesterday.



Have I mentioned here that my schedule is nuts?



Well, let me tell you, my schedule is crazy. Up at 5:30 (or 6:13, just depending on when your body decides to turn your ears on so you can actually hear the alarm)...breakfast between 6:15 and 6:45...bus leaves at 6:50. Teach at 7:30...classes for me after that. Get back to Ga Tech by 5. Sometimes run, sometimes nap (only twice actually...pat me on the back), work some, read some, chill some, then buckle down till at least 10....sometimes midnight. It's pretty intense.

It's left little time to be lonely. But I think it finally hit yesterday. It's some combo of me just standing out here...and getting into the groove of things so that I finally have time to stop and reflect.

What do I mean by stand out...well, for instance. We've been talking about floating the river next weekend, and a bunch of people are taking a bus to the river. It's an extra $12, so I told him I wanted to drive. He said "not a good idea, you'll be wasted." When I told him that I don't get drunk - 1, he didn't believe me. 2, he looked at me and said "why not? I've never met anyone who thought that way before"
Another thing that is new for me, is this is the first time in my life I've heard someone talk about church one minute, and the next use the f word and talk about getting drunk. It's a strange culture. I'm fortunate to have been shadowed by a very Christian bubble. But I'm glad it is popping, I need to learn to love the world...not just the Christian and morally good people of the world.

WOAH!! That was a tangent...anyways...

Lonely...I was lonely, and Tuesday night was just journaling and praying a community. Just a place to be with other Christians, and people to encourage me, etc.

Yesterday, my former TFA crush who's becoming more of a good friend, told me that the Indy corps has a bible study and praise time on the soccer field on Sunday morning, and he invited me to come! SIGN ME UP!

Again yesterday, some member of my corps told me about a great church they've gone to a few times, and said that they are going back, and are going to start going to a Wednesday night dinner and small group study!

THANK YOU LORD! Less than 24 hours after I asked you delivered. I should ask sooner!

Oh, and we had the WHOLE afternoon off yesterday. My response "I have NO CLUE what to do with a free afternoon...I've never considered it possible"...and I didn't even sleep...Gotta embrace time while it exists.

WooHoo!!!

On a lighter note,

My goal for my class is to take up a cell phone by the end of the summer. I'm super lax with my kids, but they're well behaved because they love me (seriously...who would have thought I could relate to African American teenagers in inner city Atlanta). I just really want to play teacher and take up a cell phone. I mean, I'll give it back at the end of class.

Dear students,

Please let me catch you texting.

Sincerely,

Olivia Singleton!

0 comments: