Thursday, June 18, 2009

First Days

I haven't posted about the first day yet. I want to. This post is definitely not going to do it justice (since I'm still trying to figure out why I'm awake and blogging and not taking this precious opportunity to sleep), but I'll try.

I wasn't nervous like EVERYONE else on campus. I think I care as much as they do, I'm just really good at separating personal and professional life. Anyways, the only nerves came because I knew I would be observed for at least 5 minutes at some point. What I wasn't prepared for was to be observed for 15 minutes by my CMA (corps member advisor) and SD (site director). ..especially not the FIRST 15 minutes of my class.

I'm gonna be honest, I had kinda sorta planned to scrap some of the things they wanted us to do, so them being in there changed my game plan a bit. But not too much. I'm just not super strict like I feel like they want us to start out as. And that works for me. I realize it doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.

So. It was good. I got my first extended observation and debriefing out of the way. My FA (faculty advisor) always observes.

I'm not gonna lie. I think I'm a bomb teacher. I think I'm great. True story, I think I'm pretty great at everything. I know it's not necessarily always true. For example, I think I'm a great football player (if you know me you know I can't play football worth a crap, I still think I'm great).

All that to say, I got a bit of negative feedback, but best I can tell, I'm ahead of a lot of people.

And, as much as I hate to admit it...I'm getting better.

THE CLASS:

The first day was good...I was feeling them out, they were feeling me out. I had a decent lesson, and a decent amount of people did well on my assessment. I'm thankful for that. Nothing major happened. One girl refused to answer when I called on her, and for the sake of a confrontation on day #1, I let it slide.

I don't let it slide, but they're comfortable with me now, so that's good.

The funniest thing so far is when Cliche (yes, that's her real name...she doesn't spell it like that, but I don't want her to come across this blog on a google search for herself) told me her pit bull ate her homework. She's one of my favorites. I mean, we all know her pit bull didn't eat her homework. I gave the class this whole spiel on being a grown person, and not lying. If you don't do your homework, own up to it. I understand stuff happens. She was so funny...she kept saying "I wasn't lying I was just playing"

Really Cliche? That was a joke? Your dog didn't really eat your homework? I'm shocked! :)

Several of our students have missed more than the 2 absences allotted, and probably won't make it through the summer.

We have one kid who works until 5 a.m. then makes it to school b 7:30. I'm impressed he shows up, but even when he's awake, it's so hard for him to focus. Today, we started bringing him a coke, so hopefully that will help keep him up some.

We have one kid who we don't think can read. He just smiles a lot. I'm sad for him. I'm not sure what we can do to help in the 3 weeks of teaching we have left.

We have a kid who is so smart, but because of a transcript issue is having to makeup algebra I. He aces everything.

Actually we have several who ace everything. We're still confused about why exactly they are in summer school.

I had great lesson today. 2 of my kids made 50's, 2 made 6o somethings, and EVERYONE else made 75 or 100. I was proud...and I was reminded that for at least the next two years, I will be living for moments like those!

BTW, someone called me and crushy boy out today for our "sexual tension." Oops...guess I need to check my flirting at the door!

0 comments: