Thursday, March 26, 2009

Adventures in Birmingham

Let me tell you about my perfect Sunday.


Since I moved to SIFAT I've been researching churches online on the off chance that I ever get to go to church on Sunday. The off chance happened this past Sunday.


I got up Sunday morning and head to church _____. First, let me tell you that this church obviously has someone who knows what they are doing in their PR department, because the website is fantastic. There are pictures of a beautiful building, kids running around playing in a lush green field, young people hanging out...basically it looks like just the kinda church I want to visit on my Sunday off.

False, FALSE, FALSE!

That's what I have to say about that. I pull up on Sunday morning and it was so sketch. First of all it was in the middle of nowhere. Secondly, there was this little tiny building and at 9:20 (church starts at 9:30) there were about 10 cars in the parking lot. I sat there for about 5 minutes, and EVERYONE was at least 70 years old who went in the building.


I felt deceived.


Plan 2: Head to Oxford and find a church that starts at 11.


Flaw in Plan 2: I have NO CLUE where any churches in Oxford are.


I'm driving down the interstate contemplating my dilemma when I see a sign that says "Birmingham 51 miles" BINGO! It's 9:50, and I'm off.


10:15-I realize I don't know where any churches in Birmingham are.

10:20-Start calling and texting friends who live in/are from Birmingham...nothing.


At some point I decided to get off the interstate and onto 280...Then I decided to get off of 280, so I turned on this random road.


Finally about 10 till 11:00, I passed a church that looked like people were going in for an 11:00 service. ALAS! a not-sketchy, non deceiving church.

Thank you Covenant Presbyterian for a great service. Seriously, one of the better services I've been to in a very long time. The sermon was great, the music was great, it was traditional enough without feeling old fashioned...there were lots of young people, but it was obviously a multi-generational church...I LOVED IT! All of you Birmingham people...if you don't have a church, seriously check out Covenant Pres, even if your not Presbyterian...I'm not.

I left feeling so refreshed and renewed. It was so refreshing to be in a church where they preach the word...I seriously don't think he told one story (other than referencing biblical stories) and he didn't tell any jokes. Not that there is anything wrong with those things, but I don't think I realized how unnecessary they were until Sunday. It was good.


After church I headed over to Oak Mountain State Park to spend the afternoon.

The weather was perfect. It was 65, maybe 70 degrees and sunny. I found a trail and hiked about 8 miles. It was up and down the whole time, so even though it wasn't that long it was still challenging. I accidentally left my ipod at home, so it was just me, Jesus and my thoughts...SO GOOD.


I finished the day off with a little trip to Books-A-Million, and dinner with Katie at Aladdin's Grill (no Katie wasn't in Birmingham, she was on the phone with me while I ate).


I was exhausted when I got back to Lineville, but it was such a good tired. In the words of a dear friend..."My body was tired, but my soul was rested."


Sweet.


0 comments: