Monday, March 16, 2009

What did you say??


Meet Josephine. This is the goat I hung out with in the cold and rain on Saturday morning. We had a C.A.R.E.S. (Creative Academic Resources for Educational Success) event for about 75 people. Basically it is a day long field trip where the kids come around and go to different modules in the global village and learn about the different countries. I presented Uganda (don't I look African) and apparently Ugandans have goats...so I got to hang out with Josephine.

After that wrapped up we had a retreat group come in....Let me tell you about this group.

They are a really cool group of kids. We get down to the slums and everything is going well. I played the part of the beggar (by far my favorite role) and I decided to tie one of my legs up so it looked like I only had one. Every character had a "need" and mine was to get a wheel chair.

So...imagine...I have one leg...and I am sitting in the middle of a VERY muddy slum...in the middle of the "street." I was expecting it to take a long time for the kids to find the wheelchair and figure out a way to buy it....The kids were unbelievable...their objective was to find food, water and shelter. They decided their new objective was to find the crippled lady a wheelchair.

They did...in about 15 minutes.
Then things got funny.

Because I was a beggar, the shop owner would pay people to get me away from their shop and to keep me away...so kids were constantly moving me away from the shop and to the other side of the slum....where the lady who gave out jobs lived, she would pay them to move me away...
I could sorta wheel myself...but not very well, and lots of times the kids would have to pick me and my wheelchair up and carry me over the really muddy parts...

All night long I kept thinking "What did you say?" Here are some of my favorites:

1.) "Are you a paraplegic?"
2.) "If you believe in Jesus then your leg will automatically grow back?" (Who taught these kids that?
3.) One kid, pushing me, chased the police officer through the slum to demand that he give me the bread that he had been teasing me with. The kid went to jail. I got pushed in the mud.
4.) Actually I got pushed in the mud twice. The second time a fell over backwards in the wheelchair. My WHOLE BODY was covered in mud. My face was muddy, and my hair was muddy. This kid bends down to help me and accidentally puts his hand in the mud. His response: "MAN...I got mud on my hand....THIS SUCKS!" Really...because I'm pretty sure I have mud in my ears. Shut up and stop whining. His youth director said (in the most country fried accent you can imagine) "Dude, what you think this is? New York City."

Unbelievable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you and I miss you.

O-Town said...

OMG...Let's talk soon. I'm so sorry we keep missing each other. We have groups here until Saturday, so if I have a free minute when you're not at work, I'll give you a call...but probably won't happen. We'll talk next week for sure. LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

I literally laughed out loud at the comments those kids made! Help me!
I REALLY want to learn from you what they teach you before you go to TFA...I could use some tips for the urban classroom. :)