Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Running...


I'm in terrible shape. This has been so apparent to me since I got back from Bolivia. I ran a half marathon in April (so almost a year ago)...I didn't run fast...but I ran the whole time...I finished.

It is important to know that the reason I decided to run it is because one of my roommates said "there's no way Olivia would run a 1/2 marathon"...well no, not until you said that.

I hated it to start with. I was motivated only by the voice in my head that said 'prove them wrong.' Before I knew what happened to me I loved my 6 mile runs. I never did learn to love anything further than 6 miles...but I loved 6 miles.

I ran the 1/2 and was pleased with my accomplishment (I almost cried when I finished) :)

After that I graduated, took an end of college road trip and boarded a plane for Bolivia...I never did start running again.

There were times when I tried (like in Bolivia)...I just couldn't get motivated.
So...fast forward to today @ 3:00.

I needed to run.

I have discovered that my desire to run is directly proportional to how much of my day is structured.

When I was training for the half marathon, I was in the middle of my internship, and from 8-5 (sometimes later) I was expected to be at work. After the marathon my life went crazy. I graduated from Auburn...drove to Arizona and back (w/ plenty of stops on the way) and boarded a plane for Ixiamas, Bolivia. In Bolivia, I had responsibilities, but not much structure. I pretty much did what I wanted when I wanted...what little structure I had was so sporadic. Then I moved to Dothan...I was subbing, so I was working, but I never knew when, or what I would be doing...again, not much structure.

No structure = No running

Now I am leading youth retreats, and when we have groups in EVERY SECOND of my day is structured. This afternoon we came off of 5 days of retreats....working 12 to 14 hour days (that were completely structured) and I needed a run.

It was a hard run b/c I'm not used to running on the road, and the landscape is SO HILLY...I fill like I'm climbing mountains when I run....but it was so freeing.

I think the new structure is going to lend itself to my being in better shape.

*New goal? I'm considering a marathon...but let me get into the groove of this first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get it Olivia! O love this blog and I love you.
Hope you are having a wonderufl day. Let's talk soon.
Love Lauri

O-Town said...

Lauri! I'm so glad you're reading. :) I'm going to try to call you tonight if I get home at a decent hour. If not let's try to talk this weekend. I'll have phone service all weekend which is a rarity! :) Love you.

Anonymous said...

of course I'm reading pal. Call me whenever. If I miss you or if you are busy, we can definately talk this weekend.
I love you