Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Beauty

Sometimes you just have to stop and blog in real time. Because it's just that good. At least to me. At least to my heart right now.

I often pass by the person with the sign "will work for food" or "need a ride" or "please, help" etc. and I'm ashamed to admit I often pass them by (I know some of you out there reading will think it's good I pass them up, but I don't).

Today, as I was having what I thought was the worst day of my life (bad class, cheerleader suspended, an hour at the emissions test play just to fail, 2 hours at the DMV for nothing etc.) It felt like the worst day ever.

Then I was leaving the DMV and this beautiful young girl asked me if I knew the way to Nole's road. I didn't. I got in my car, and I saw her ask someone else. I decided to ask her if she wanted a ride. She jumped in, and off we went.

It's a good thing she got in to, because after we headed that way we realized it was like 7 miles away. Anyways, enough time to hear about how she had just been released from jail. All her charges were cleared, and she'd been in for 25 days. She's originally from the Bronx, and has been living in Nashville for 7 years. No family here. When she was arrested, her 3 kids were taken and put into foster care.

And earlier I'd cried about my day.

I dropped her off on the corner closest to the address, she was going to wait until her friend got off of work (he worked at the hospital on the corner) to head to his house.

I don't know her name, but she was beautiful.

I hope she gets her kids back.

I hope she deserves them, and does right by them from now on.

People really are people if you stop and get to know them.

Beautiful People!

I kept thinking "How did I get here?" In this car, in Nashville with this beautiful woman. My life almost perfect compared to what she's been going through.

Thanks Lord.

2 comments:

Evan said...

Reminds me of the time we picked up that man in Opelika! Wow... forgot about that one! Nonetheless, you are a sweetheart. Glad your day took a turn for the better. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! I'd forgoten about that. FUNNY...