Thursday, September 03, 2009

Yelling

If you are offended by tales of teachers yelling at kids then stop reading now. Seriously. A lot of yelling happens in this story. And the responsible adult is the one doing it. If not keep reading...because I'm about to vent.

Okay, so God has a sense of humor. I totally thought I had great classroom management...really. This summer I would have said "I don't have many rules, or any consequences but I have good rapport with the students so they behave."

Now...I have rules...I have consequences...I have a good rapport...my students are terrorists...TERRORISTS I TELL YOU!

Today it wasn't even the bad class.

I have a inclusion teacher second period every other 3rd second period for half an hour. And math is not her specialty...meaning I only know slightly more than her. Meaning, of no fault of her own, she's not very useful.

Today she was doing a jeopardy review game for my class because they are having a test tomorrow.

They were maniacs...Animals.

She doesn't ever make them behave
I get frustrated and yell at them
The problem gets worse when I hand the reins back to her
There's a lock down
The kids have a million questions
It's funny to me how they tell us not to tell the kids it's a lock down, but they come over the intercom and announce it...
We're still under lock down, and one of the things we have to list on the sign in our window is our cell phone number
I forgot to put my cell phone on silence, so during lock down I get a call from a 615 (Nashville) number
I answer it thinking it is something to do with the lockdown
It's the varsity representative calling about uniforms
The kids go crazy
(Please remember there is another teacher in the room doing NOTHING about it)
When they got done with the jeopardy game I LET THEM HAVE IT.

I shouldn't have, but here's the deal, I was mad. There was a lockdown so I couldn't send the kids out, but during the review game most of them talked and played the whole time. The class average for this class is in the 60's...BAD. I have a kid with an 11 average.

Basically what told yelled at them was that they were lazy, didn't care about their grades and were going to fail my class. I threatened to call parents and tell them that their child was happy with an F. I told the class that the kids failing where the ones with attitudes. One girl told me I had an attitude and I said "Sure do, and you might as well get used to it because I have no plans for getting rid of it." I told them that if they failed one semester of my class they failed the whole year (which is true) and I told them that since none of them ever came for help that they must want to fail, and if they failed algebra they'd probably fail other classes, and that would set them back from graduation, and if they didn't graduate they'd never get a job and they would starve to death or sell drugs and get killed.

I refuse to talk for the next hour (my planning)...because I DON'T HAVE A VOICE...@ least not much of one.

I know I'm a terrible teacher.

Thanks for telling me.

Jerk.

BTW...I still love my job (I'm sick and twisted)

0 comments: