Thursday, November 12, 2009

Doctoral Fourth Period

My kids are going to fail the End of Course test if the government does not grant us the leniency we need for it being the first year of new standards, and my school is going to fail AYP. There is nothing I can do about it, and there is nothing they can do about it.

It's been decided.

That being said, if the benchmark is lowered. We may be okay.

As it stands we are going to fail. It's depressing, but I've made peace.

So where that leaves me is this.

A beautiful honest moment with my fourth block today. I was just real honest. I told them they were going to fail. True story. Then I talked about why it mattered. Then I made up some crap about how they don't want to go to a school that has been taken over by the government (I have no idea what that kind of school would be like, but I made up some colorful details).

Then I told them about college.

And they actually listened. They actually freakin' listened. (In the voice of that girl from Now and Then who says "we did it, we actually freakin' did it" when they think they've raised little johnny from the dead...Anybody?...No? Okay..)

And somewhere in my speech I decided I wanted to get a doctorate.

So, thank you fourth period.

For you time.

And your insight.

Peace.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That came from no where! Do what you want :)

Julie said...

I am completely with you on the "Now and Then" quote. Such a fantastic movie! I am glad you had a breakthrough with your class. Nothing like raw honesty and a little encouragement to get their attention! I think you must be an amazing teacher. The jury's still out on the cheerleading thing (I can't picture it!), but I am sure you're GREAT at that, too!

Julie said...

Oh, and you know you have my support on the Doctorate thing. EdD?

O-Town said...

EdD! :) Dr. Olivia. Really I just want power. I feel like the more degrees you have, the more power you have. And, for the record, I'm not a great teacher. I just wrote a kid up before I started the speal, so they were all scared. I'm learning to do scary well! :)

holli vining said...

olivia. there are no words.